- The origins of ACS Horizons
- Accessibility, Communication, Service
- Service Offering
- References and on-going projects
- Utilised languages et softwares
- Useful Links
The origins of ACS Horizons
When I was a student, because of health problems, I had to stop going study and stay at home for months. That experience made me discover how important was the Internet, especially for handicapped people. I used this long period at home to learn Web conception, and I became passionate about it. I noticed, on that occasion, how websites were often constructed on an anarchical way. This is also the moment when I holistically looked at the problem of Websites’ Accessibility.
With my studies about China, I had already experimented how important was the Internet in international exchanges.
When I went back to school, using crutches, I rediscovered my environment differently, noticing how difficult it was to go out for a handicapped person, and how vital was the Internet for people having health problems.
That’s why I got this idea of creating a company, to promote accessibility and universal exchange through the Web.
Accessibility, Communication, Service
ACS Horizons’ name derives from its vocation:
Accessibility: Promoting universality, freedom and accessibility through the Web, by observing Web standards, testimony of quality and professionalism.
Communication: Taking into account the client’s communication in a global way, from Web conception to Desktop Publishing, with services of consulting and an aid for composition, in order to make texts and design really corresponding to the client’s need.
Service: Placing attention at the core of our priorities, because only a careful attention can allow the construction of a true exchange, key to success of the projects realised in common with the client.
My service offering is center on my two main areas of expertise: China et Internet, with some specifications, linked to my studies and my experience: international relations, project management, Web accessibility, Free Softwares and communication.
From these two main areas and specifications, I defined a service offering, which is not exhaustive and can evolve in the future.
- Project Management Assistance (PMA) on Web and/or China projects;
- Information Architecture for the Web;
- Consulting and Audit for Web Accessibility;
- Translation from Chinese and English into French;
- Website creation;
- Desktop Publishing.
References and on-going projects
I started my business in October, 2007, so this part is still under construction. This is, however, my first references with ACS Horizons:
- 2007 : Creation of a Website for a campaigner for municipal election in Saint-Germain-en-Laye: http://www.saintgermainsolidaire.fr.
- 2007 : Creation of a Website for a campaigner for cantonal election in Saint-Germain-en-Laye: http://www.saintgermain-acheres.fr.
- 2007-2008 : Desktop Publishing for the campagners for local elections in Saint-Germain-en-laye.
- 2007-2008 : Restructuring of the information architecture for the China Europa Forum’s Website, project of the Charles Leopold Mayer Fondation .
Utilised languages and softwares
- Ubuntu : one version of Linux, particularly user-friendly.
- Windows XP
Design and Desktop Publishing
- GIMP : free software for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring, equivalent to Photoshop.
- Inkscape : free software for vectorial design.
- Scribus : free software for Desktop Publishing (DTP).
- Bluefish : text editor.
Content Management Systems (CMS)
- CMS Made Simple.
- OmegaT : free software for computer-assisted translation (CAT).
- Ayato : software for composing subtitles.
- ACS Horizons Pro Website : http://www.acs-horizons.fr (in French only, not translated yet)
- Definition of Web Accessibility on Wikipedia
- Definition of Free Software on Wikipedia